I) Job Purpose
Provides clinical education and evaluation to clinical and nursing staff. Collaborates with divisional leadership to incorporate best practice person-centered processes into the plan of care persons served. Plans, organizes, assists and delivers the behavioral health and medical person centered education/training program for the agency. The Clinical Training Specialist is a member of the Training & Development Team, dedicated to performing person centered clinical education and professional development of clinical and medical staff processes and procedures across the agency. The Clinical Training Specialist provides training and education in accordance with governmental laws, regulations and agency policy and procedures. Training to be provided includes: (1) Infection Control; (2) Self Administration of Medication (3) on site clinical med administration and competency and skill set checks and training (4) cultural competency - person?centered and family?centered, recovery?oriented, and evidence?based training; (5) integration of primary care and behavioral health care training; (6) Specified Training and Development courses such as CPR, ASIST and SAMA.
Works in concert with the Director of Nursing and Director of Training & Development to create cutting edge learning experiences for MHMR staff. Organizes, develops and conducts a wide range of high-quality person centered training and development programs. Responsible for conducting integrated training needs assessments to ensures compliance and credentialing required training is facilitated in the appropriate manner in accordance with guidelines. Provides professional learner focused training in an innovative and engaging manner.
II) Essential Functions
- Designs, recommends, implements, administers and evaluates the education/training program for the person centered behavioral health staff and medical staff
- Develops specified training material that meet the needs of the agency
- Ensures necessary employee learning materials are present at each class
- Manages classroom group behavior, participation and overall environment to promote and maintain a positive, effective and fun learning experience
- Communicates in a clear and understandable manner using appropriate verbal and non-verbal styles
- Actively participates in departmental activities to improve training methods and achieve company goals
- Assists with one-on-one training and coaching sessions as assigned
- Assists with updating training materials as needed
- Attends required meetings and participates as a committee member as requested
- Assists with special projects as needed
- Obtains training and/or certification as needed
- Schedules and coordinate new educational offerings and on-going staff in-services
- Assists with research, development, and designing training manuals, documentation, activities, proficiency assessments and other educational/training material
- Act as a role model by supporting agency objectives; meeting time management and attendance parameters
- Maintains courteous, professional attitude when working with staff
- Attends meetings and deliver presentations as requested
- Actively participates in team meetings
- Supports and performs other duties as requested by Supervisor
III) Knowledge of Laws, Policies/Procedures, Skills, and Abilities
- MHMRTC policies & procedures, DSHS, TAC, DARS, DADS, CARF, CCBHC standards
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Clinical background
- Medical background
- Training in venipuncture and blood draws
- Labs -all CLIA labs, urine drug screens, etc.
- Infection control - biohazard training and communicable diseases
- EKG – training in using EKGs
- Injections: how to administer long acting anti-psychotics
- Medications overall: how to do a pillbox, inventory, samples, ordering PAP
- Training for clinic support associates on: Blood pressure, height, weight, pulse, temperature.
- Training for nursing-specific documentation
- Training for Self-administration of medication with supervision ( Must be an RN, MD or pharmacist)
- Dr First
- APRN training to understand delegation, prescriptive authority and their annual protocol.
- Training for prescribers so they understand nursing orders, nursing consults, nursing visits, and the scope of the nurse within the clinic.
- Calibration of equipment, daily, weekly, monthly including AED checks
- Providing patient education for disease management.
- Experience in delivering training & development educational courses
- Demonstrated proficiency with excel spreadsheets, word documents, power point, data entry and presentation skills
- Ability to successfully communicate to multiple levels of leadership
- High level of problem solving skills
- Understanding of project management
- Customer/Person-Centered Focus
- Planning/Organizational Skills
- Presentations Skills
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of Word Processing software, database software, spreadsheet, EHR, LMS, Internet software and PowerPoint
- Actively supports and incorporates agency mission and core values into daily activities
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with fellow colleagues
- Works as a team member to achieve goals
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills, internally and externally, with effective communication, respect, and integrity
- Maintains confidentiality of all information related to persons served, customers, colleagues, staff, or as appropriate, other information
- Ability to perform physically interactive functions in association with the delivery of SAMA, CPR and other training; bending, lifting, kneeling, twisting, physical interaction with staff, etc.
- Is dependable and consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position
- Positive, resourceful, proactive, and efficient while maintaining an approachable and professional presence to internal and external audiences
- Ability to prioritize and be self-directed
- Strong editorial skills, including scheduling and tracking deliverables
- Exceptionally detail-oriented and organized
- Sincere commitment to building high quality online content
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented with a high attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of Medical and/or Behavioral Health Case Management, Person-Centered Training, Disease Management, and/or Medical and Behavioral Utilization Management Medical Necessity
- Experience in performing face-to-face and large web-based group presentations for adult learners
- Critical thinking, ease in communicating in formal and informal settings, excellent documentation skills (Excel, Word, email, in-person)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to analyze information and convert related activities into a comprehensive work plan
- Have training and/or understanding of counseling, mental illness, development delays and substance abuse
- Physical capabilities to be certified as an instructor for SAMA, CPR, MHFA, ASIST and other required training
- Ability to obtain specified certifications to deliver specific training
IV) Internal & External Customer Service
Has contact with all levels of staff and external contact with community organizations. Participates in work-teams and taskforces internally and externally with the agency.
This position may require periodic travel to other MHMRTC sites, community businesses, and statewide travel to conference meetings and training. Ability to travel up to 25%.